Material: Wood, polychromia
Technique: carving, painting
Dimensions, mm: 2710×1660
Restoration: The epitaph was repaired in 1896. 2019-2021, Ieva Marta
Wooden epitaph of the town councillor, St. George’s Church and Jesus’ Church Inspector Eberhard von Kruger (22.12.1686 – 09.05.1759).
The Kruger family is mentioned in various historical sources as early as the 14th century. It is known about Eberhard Krueger that he acted as a merchant while continuing his family traditions. In 1747 he became the Riga City Councillor.
The epitaph consists of two parts, in the upper part the coat of arms, in the lower part – an inscription plate with a text in German, which gives brief details of the deceased with a text in German:
„Zum Gedachtins des
Weyland Wohlgebohrnen Wohlweisen und Gestrengen
Herren Eberhard von Kruger.
Dieser Kayserlichen Stadt Riga wohlverdienten Raths Weysen Herrn
Wie auh Inspectoris zu st.Georg und der Jesus Kirche
Anno 1686 den 22 December gebohren und
Sanft und Seelig entschafen.
Larger in size is the upper part with the coat of arms of the Kruger family. In the centre of the coat of arms is a shield with silvery vases on a dark blue background. The blanket of the helmet surrounds the entire shield as an ornament of acanthus leaves. Above the shield is a gold helmet with a crown, adorned with five feathers in Kleinod.